Saturday, September 8, 2007

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Jesus, but that was ugly. I don't think I've ever seen us look that bad. Seriously. I actually left the room and spent most of the second half putting up my kids' bunk beds. Which helped - a lot. Reminded me that life is good. Really!

I have never been That Guy, the guy that creams Lloyd after every loss, that says that Lloyd has to go, blah blah blah. I hate those guys...they're so unhappy - even when we win. It just ain't me. I'm a positive guy, an optimist. Always.

But...Lord, did we look like shit. We weren't ready to play, even after a week as a laughingstock. Ron English, after a season as the savior du jour, looks 100% completely overwhelmed and unable to adjust. We played better defense in the second half, just as we did last week. So what? Shawn Crable is terrible against the run and unable to keep contain on the pass rush. Terance Taylor is a force but slower than hell. The safeties - my Lord, how did Jamar Adams EVER get on the Thorpe list? Morgan Trent has actually played pretty well. Donovan Warren, too, but he's so raw. I don't think I've heard Tim Jamison's name once this season.

Offensively - Ron Debord appears to have...oh, about eight plays in his playbook. TE waggle, deep out, seam route, zone run, zone run with fullback, WR screen. Am i missing anything? Chad Henne is slow-footed, unaware in the pocket and has been terribly inaccurate. I hope he's not injured, but he hasn't progressed much since his freshman year. Brandon Minor will be good, but he's not ready. Mario still shows bursts of productivity, but he appeared to take long stretches off today. He quit on Mallett's interception - not when he failed to catch it (it happens), but he didn't make any effort to make the tackle. Carson Butler was a nice spark today - what happened after the first quarter?

And Lloyd...look, I love Lloyd, I really do. He's been a credit to the program, and there's not anyone I'd rather have. Not Stoops, Meyer, Carroll, nobody. He's been a perfect fit, he really has.

But it's time. This is a team that has lost at least one game unnecessarily a season for the last decade. A team that has performed under expectations for a long, long time, and I just can't pretend I don't see it anymore. Lloyd Carr is overly conservative, arrogant, and - above all and most importantly - hidebound. He is fundamentally unable to change approach or direction unless as a last resort. He moved away from Jim Herrmann long after it was clear that a change absolutely needed to be made. He will never - EVER - change his offensive approach, despite having had as much offensive talent as anyone over the last decade. His attitude - "this worked before, it will always work" - is the mark of someone who simply isn't interested in innovation. Hell, screw innovation - how about adjustment?

He can't do it, and he won't ever. Love you Lloyd, but it's time to go. This program will never, ever, ever return to true excellence until he's gone and the direction changes.

I'll still be the biggest fan you can find. I'll still wear my stuff, I'll still watch every game, I'll still shout to the heavens when we win. Hell, my new block 'M' license plate came in the mail today, and I can't wait to put it on my car...I don't know where I'm going with this. All I know is that it hurts, and I want it to stop.

No comments: